Tuesday, November 18, 2008

You lack a lot of quality...

Today, in the LAST LESSON I teach the geometry kids, we were having a discussion as to whether I should be their sole source of information for mathematical knowledge. I said no, then gave an example of when I was wrong - (I had told them there were no known integer Pythagorean quadruples, but then we had one in the homework.) I told them I'd expected them to notice it and tell me I was wrong: they enjoyed that.
Girl: "Miss Wolfe, you're WRONG!"
My cooperating teacher: "Name, that's not a nice way to put it."
Girl: "Miss Wolfe, you lack a lot of quality."

Somehow, I don't think those quite mean the same thing. But I did have them playing with anamorphic art today, and some of the students thought it was difficult. Anamorphic art is actually pretty interesting. Click on that link to see a few different things, but you can also just search google images for anamorphic art.

I also got really excited this week about online learning tools. So, if you want to see what's been taking up my time, you can go to geometryatcity.wikispaces.com. That's how I would do-over one lesson from this semester. Also, you can go to citygeometry.blogspot.com and see some project ideas that students could pick from. I'm hoping these sites come in handy, but they're also fun to make.

Last piece of information - a professor from MSU emailed me inviting me to a recruiting day on Monday, December 8th. I'll be able to go! That's promising, and I'm really excited for it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You tagged the future! Pretty cool that MSU wants you to visit. Are they a good school for ed psych?
Also, where did you students come up with the quality phrase?

Julie said...

yeah, they're really good - MSU is ranked 14th in the nation according to US News & World Report.

I have no idea as to why they think I have a lack of quality. I just realized about 10 minutes ago that she maybe was thinking of "qualifications"?? I hope?

Jessica said...

That's exciting about MSU! They're going to love you and I'm sure they think you have no lack of qualities or qualifications. Let's talk soon, please! If you're coming home soon that would make me really happy :)