Monday, January 19, 2009

Learning to Eat (?) like Jesus














Okay, so I absolutely love my More-with-Less cookbook. It's a cookbook that relies on the premise that one's belief in God affects the way one lives, and so, tries to find healthy eating habits in response to that. Its goal is to 'help Christians respond in a caring-sharing way in a world with limited food resources.' Everything I've made from it has been so good (I cooked a macaroni-tomato pie for some friends and oatmeal crumb-topped muffins and they were all approved of) and last night, I made lentil burgers and berry cobbler that were DELICIOUS. (Perhaps some of it was the lovely company.) It really makes me want Lent to come because I've already made some food plans to live more in the act of shalom for Lent. Which means, I really should get started now.

Lentil Burgers
Combine in a bowl:
2 cups cooked, cooled lentils (about 1 cup dry; needs no presoaking)
1 egg
1/2 c cracker crumbs
1 small onion, minced
tomato juice (I used sauce and it worked fine!)
salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients together using just enough tomato juice to hold mixture in shape when pattied. Fry like hamburgers in small amount hot oil, shortening, or bacon fat.

I served them with cheese, mustard and ketchup on buns. Someone suggested adding another egg and making it as meatloaf as well.

Quick Berry Cobbler

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine in bowl:
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c flour
1/2 c milk
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt

Pour into 9 x 9 greased baking pan. Add:
2 c fruit (fresh, frozen, or canned)
Bake for 40 minutes.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I made the berry cobbler and it was DELISH!! I made it with all blueberries and served it with vanilla ice cream. Four of us ate almost the whole thing and then I ate the last piece when we got home - so if you are going to serve it to a lot of people, I'd make more.