Friday, September 11, 2009

What I've been doing - the visual version

1. Listening to Ingrid Michaelson (I really like her. You might want to listen to normal songs, because the one below is a fun version.)



2. Moving


As you can see, "decorating" is not included under "moving."

3. Cooking (failblog-worthy, for most of the endeavors.) But I did make some apple-dentures the other day. After realizing it's a tasty combination, I tried to get more creative and threw in raisins for missing front teeth. We didn't have any golden raisins, or I could've had some crowns. Or bling. And when I did it with green apples, it looked like Shrek's mouth.
4. Becoming a Buckeye! Went to the Navy game last Saturday. Almost got to have a blog post entitled "O-H-I- Uh oh..." Unfortunately, now I had to stick my horrid pun in the text of the post, since we did win. Classes start the 23rd.


4b. Also includes continuing research on dropout prevention. I'm seeing starkingly alarming rates on minority and low-income students and school engagement. My previous math education knowledge taught me about the international TIMMS study - where the US ranked pretty low in academic achievement for math (and science, but I really only have the math information.)

Truth: In math, the average scores of eighth grade students in twenty nations were statistically higher than those obtained by the U.S.

Truth: If we took the top 10 percent of students from all nations, five percent of U.S. students would be chosen in mathematics, significantly less than Singapore or Japan, two top-scoring countries.

New possible finding (that I only read about, not actually read yet): The Post-American World says that the top-achieving two-thirds of American students are very competitive internationally. It's the bottom third that the U.S. is failing to adequately educate.

Just thought it was interesting.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

i like your apartment!

where did you get the idea to make apple dentures?
were you all by yourself when doing those??
did you show them to anyone in person???

mmw said...

nice scrollover!
Do you want to use my 27" tv??

Calah said...

you make the most ridiculously cute things. prob cuz youre so ridiculously cute yourself. a level of cuteness i can never hope to acheive...although my new room might.

also, doesnt suprise me that other countries are outstripping the states in school acheivement-- my new sisters go to school 6 days a week, and some evenings!! and do homework the rest of the time...and lots of kids go to pre-school school in the summer, to prepare for regular school.

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of the apartment and the dentures made from apples are amazing!!!

Liz