Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cranberry-Oatmeal Cookie Bars

I have already discussed my theory that using Cooking Light for the desserts only kind of defeats the purpose. But I'm going to share the good recipes with you anyway. No picture this time. The note says that these aren't "too sweet" but they were plenty sweet enough for me.

Crust: 1 c flour (I used whole-wheat)
1 c oats
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/4 t salt
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t cinnamon
6 T butter, melted
3 T orange juice.

1. Combine dry crust ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle butter and juice over flour mixture, stir until moistened. Mixture will be crumbly.

2. Set aside 1/2 c oat mixture (I set a side a little more because I love crumbly toppings!). Press the remaining oat mixture into the bottom of a greased 11x7" baking dish.

3. For the filling, combine:
1 1/3 c dried cranberries (or dried cherries, substituting lemon for all things orange)
3/4 c sour cream
1/2 c sugar (I think I would try using less next time.)
2 T flour
1 t vanilla
1/2 t grated orange rind
1 large egg white, beaten.

Stir well and spread cranberry mixture over prepared crust. Sprinkle reserved mixture over filling.

4. Bake at 325 for 40 minutes or until edges are golden (Mine were golden enough to be irresistible at 35 minutes). Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.

If you cut the bars into 24 pieces, then it's worthy of cooking light. I wanted to make mine into about 4 pieces, because, there's a part of me, I don't know how dominant that part might be, that wanted these pieces. I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with these chewy bars. Desserts are my own personal brand of - yes, I have been re-reading Twilight, why do you ask?

I'm also writing a fun story about Cinderella from the evil stepmother's point of view. I like turning situations around and looking at them through others' eyes. I've been trying to do it with reading the Bible too, taking perspectives that I don't normally take. It's quite hard to step out of the "i'm-so-perfect" mindset, but I'm trying. Something (someone) tells me it'll be worth it.

2 comments:

Diana said...

your cinderella story could become the equivalent of "wicked"!

Julie said...

if only I were talented!