Monday, November 7, 2011

she's back. and she's wearing a viking hat.



I held an after-school cooking club where we made different types of squash, apple crisp, and used freshly grated parmesan cheese. It was a success! See the empty plates below. I plan to hold a session monthly, so let me know if you have suggestions for winter foods that are healthy-ish.

I wore my Viking hat from the Warrior Dash in class last Monday. That was fun. I made up a story problem about Viking boats (also about the number of Viking warriors before and after battles) and said "Hmm, I think we need a visual aid." Then I reached into my "props" drawer, pulled out a Viking hat, and continued teaching. The kids were a little shocked, but I suspect they enjoyed it. I actually heard someone say that it was a pretty good lesson... and I think all that was different was that I kept looking at my shadow in the overhead. And trying to poke people (or not poke people) with my Viking horns.



Squash-apple turnovers: I've been in somewhat of a squash frenzy. I love squashes - all kinds of them. To your left, you see a squash-apple turnover. Did you know you can cook apples like this? I suppose you probably did, because apples turn into applesauce. But they don't have to get mushy - you can saute them. With butternut squash. And then add some other stuffs, wrap them in crescent roll dough, and call it lunch?



Since I happened to have dough... I made some peanut-butter-smores turnovers as well.


 They were tasty too. Although marshmallow creme is a better option than marshmallows, because actual marshmallows kind of just dissolve. By kind of, I mean they really do.

Thanks for checking in. I hope to write something meaningful someday soon - it's there, inside me. I think.

2 comments:

RDW said...

I am going to have you do some cooking for us over the Holidays!

Diana said...

I am just now catching up on the blogs. I think the things that stuck with me are the ones that start with "if you only learn 1 thing today, I hope it's....." because those are what I can still remember. One in college "the hip breaks before the fall" (in gerontology) and in '89, a sermon "a frog won't jump out of boiling water if you start with it at lukewarm". umm, everything else, I forgot.