Saturday, February 14, 2009

The future's so bright, I've got to wear... blinds?

Wolfe's Fables: Episode 1

Pogo had always lusted after Roller’s skills. His steady rhythm increased exponentially as he raced downhill. His laces were always tied just right, looking like a helmet or a sleek shell whenever he shot past. Unfortunately, as most skates were wont to do, he was well aware of his skill and bragged about it incessantly.
“I love the wind I feel when I SHOOT down the hill,” he boasted.
One day, Pogo snapped. He had enough with Roller’s bragging, no matter how cool he looked or how fast he skated.
“That’s it, Roller. I’m sick of your gloating. Let’s race.”
Pogo knew that he could boing higher than Roller. Who said he couldn’t make it downhill just as fast – or faster?
“You sure, Pogo? Yes? Then let’s roll.”
So even though Pogo had never practiced a descent, he boinged to the top of the hill. He visualized himself boinging down, flying past, hearing the audience’s cheers.
Go!” the starter cried.
Roller began rolling, leering back at Pogo. Pogo took a giant leap.
Unused to the grade, Pogo missed his landing, so Roller the show-off won, fair and square. He could have napped before Pogo finished. Pogo flopped home, affirming the value of restraint and readiness.



Some updates:

1. We are still out of heat - which is not really worth a big whine because this is the first time I've been in the house for more than 2 hours. Our heat broke Saturday, so I have spent most of the time at other people's houses (thanks, kids). It is supposed to be fixed tomorrow. Until then - slow typing by these fingers, I guess.

2. I heard a quote that I am going to butcher, but it said something about "theologians have one eye on the Bible and one eye on the newspaper." We really need to be aware of what is going on in the world in order to best work toward shalom.

3. Conference is this week!

4. Sunday, I heard about how God keeps His promises. In the book of Joshua, Caleb had 45 years to wait before He received the land God had promised him. Kind of crazy, and it makes me feel very impatient when I am wondering why I still "wait for answers" for WEEKS on end.

5. Saw these sunglasses at Target, and then at the movie theater Saturday night. This is what this blog title is about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think sunglasses with awnings would be cool! invent them and I'll split the profit with you.

Stephen said...

julie, thought you'd be interested to know... i clicked "next blog" at the top of your page, and it redirected me to the foreign-language memoirs of some finnish skank. you are way cooler.

Julie said...

Diana, this is YOUR chance! Someone already stole your lzr suit idea. get ready for retirement...