Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Invicem!















Every year, the Calvin teams pick themes for Saturday night of the conference meet. This year, the boys picked - this theme? - and their cheer poked fun of another team's cheer. The other team's cheer repeats "WISE OWL!" and holds up an owl statue with a towel on it. At our dual meet, Calvin men cheered "DRY TOWEL!" and then the cheer advanced farther. They are repeating "DRY ROSS!" (Ross is in the dress) and then Ross got "sacrificed" to the water, at which point the cheer changed to "WET ROSS!"












Our theme was construction. We (but I do want to give myself some credit here) developed a cheer mimicking Bob the Builder. If we were losing on Saturday night, we could chant, "Can we fix this? Yes we can!" as Bob does. If we were winning (as we were), we chanted, "Can we win this? Yes we can!" and then repeated "BOB!" in a huddle.



















Overall, the meet was a success. I had best times in almost every event, getting "B cuts" (aka provisionals) in the 50 free and 100 fly for the first time in my swimming career. I was 3/100 off the school record in the butterfly, as was Caitlin (we tied for fourth in the finals - see picture above.) I am also on a few relays that will go to Nationals (the official list comes out Friday, I think.) Thus, I am headed to Minneapolis for March 19-21 to swim on some relays and two individual events. My last swim season - my last trip to Nationals - I am so grateful to be going. In practice today (long course = amazing) I realized that I am not ready to be done. What will I do with myself? I'm glad I am going again, swimming again, enjoying myself again.
I tried to swim as a type of worship to God - not just enjoying it myself, although that's a part of it, but actually swimming so that God could look down and say, "Again! Again! I love this!" Someday, I'll add in my favorite sermon story of all time that talks about God saying "again! again!" It will make more sense.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Yay for the swimming success! You'll probably rock it at Nationals as well. It has been really cool to see the way you have used swimming these last couple of years to bring glory to God and to get Him excited to see his children do the things they love!