Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Happy January!



"Whoa, I didn't know that's where Arizona was! So, like... Arizona is south of most of California."
"I would have said east... but that's your call."
 And yes, folks, she has her masters now.
My other side of the family has pictures on facebook. (Chris just joined the group i wish both sides of my families used facebook. Just kidding. But he might have.)


Guess what! Someone has been really helpful to me this semester and so I made a little diaper bag! Full of character! But also quite girly for their first girl. And it was difficult. I'm going back to making aprons after this.


It did turn out well. And I love the fabric. And there are pockets galore. That would be one great thing about having a kid - getting to carry gigundo bags with pockets everywhere. If someone makes fun of it, you just shrug your shoulders and pull out the baby! (Just kidding. But babies are an automatic exemption from the giant purse spectacle.)


"In being honest [about the state of the world], the Bible welcomes you to be honest as well. In its refusal to minimize, diminish, or deny the harsh realities of this broken-down house, the Bible calls us to face the facts as well. Things are not okay around us or inside us. The brokenness presses in on every side."
 - Broken-Down House, Paul Tripp

As for the New Year, I do have some questions. We talked about how there are no pure motives for resolutions... and while resolving to know "nothing but Christ and Christ crucified" would be an amazing resolution, in my mind, it lacks in ... practicality? application? I do not know how to resolve to do that, much less do it. What happened though, is that I haven't written any resolutions, and I don't think that was the point. So I need some resolutions to write down.

I'm doing fairly well on the less-meat resolution - next step (thank you, Food, Inc) is maybe committing to buying meat and produce from local grocers if possible? It is... if I can convince myself that it's worth the extra money. I think it is in theory - we'll see how important I act like it is.
Also in the food thing, I want to start sharing meals with more people, not eating by myself, watching Accidentally on Purpose online or reading cookbooks. Also, also with food - (should I have a resolution that does not deal with food?) I want to make some new things. Homemade tortellini or tortelloni? I got some new cookbooks for Christmas, and they have some fancier foods in them that I'll have to try. And more than just desserts.

Other resolutions are to keep running, swimming, to try something new - I don't know how well you know me, but I have trouble with change. I don't like new situations, new people, new phones (always like the previous one better, and still mourning the one I lost in a snowbank a few years back). Everything is scary. So I am resolving to try something, somewhere, NEW. Most likely, it will end up being a new sport or activity. I don't even have to like it. I'll try to be honest with myself about what's new. (Skipping all day? Singing instead of talking? Yeah, I won't let those count.)

Resolved to write more. Not here (go ahead, say "Phew"... Okay, done?) but creatively. All the stuff I'm too scared to put up here, I want to write.

Resolved to find a charity and donate to it regularly. I set aside a small portion of my stipend for charity, but this year, I feel like I'm haphazardly looking for something that I deem worthy (like a cricket farm!! Thanks, MercyCorps!) or just waiting for someone to approach me and say, "Do you have x amount to donate?" No one does, by the way. I found charitynavigator.org, which tells about foundations and how their donations are handled, but I'd love suggestions on what everyone else does too.

Lastly, this quarter is off and running. I took a spinning class this morning (not new... but my first class) and am learning bundles about adolescent psychology, educational psychology, and covariance structure modeling. Did you know more and more middle school and high school teachers are reading aloud to their students and saying it helps? Did you know that all polar bears are left-handed?

1 comment:

Diana said...

good blog - I heard a comment about the polar bears being left-handed, and that they also put their left paw in front of their black noses to stay hidden while their "prey" gets closer and closer!