Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Odds Get Even

Today's good news:
- No one dislikes me for moving the test back

- The teachers' union did not call for a strike during their all-union meeting yesterday.

- I woke up from an amazing dream (quite funny in numerous places - there was a horrendous play, but even as an actress in it, I left, so I'm not quite sure of the plot. I came back for the end. In addition, somehow it involved my friend Maggie ripping my teacher's pop-up book. (Pictured below, not ripped.) So I'm glad it was just a dream.) But waking up happy, even early, is a great start to the day.

In other news:
- I have some students that I caught cheating on their homework. I know that happens often (and I know I do it too) but it really is disappointing to see they're not even putting forth any effort. I wish there was a way to motivate students other than grades so that they are challenged to learn the material, not just get good grades. It's a vicious cycle.
- I have a particular student, Student A, whom I really like. He ihas turned in two assignments out of about 24, sleeps in class, etc... But he's really bright. He's been answering questions recently and always answers them correctly. His favorite subject is listed as lunch, and he likes singing. I also think he likes/ doesn't dislike me. So I'm off to an okay start with him. But I don't know how to motivate him.
This got me thinking - the most basic motivation would be to say, "You need this to graduate." But she may not even have graduation as a goal. And, if I really want to go off on a tangent here - is there anything wrong with NOT having that as a goal? I want it - for money, or good jobs... But really, those are telos (plural of telos, anyone?) I've developed. Should I expect everyone to hold the same? I read a short story - thanks, Randall family for the book - named "How to Win" by Rosellen Brown. Her particular story is about a son with a learning disability and his 'only way to win' at school is to take daily drugs that completely change his personality, so it's kind of a sarcastic win. Good connection.

the odds protest.
like my students yesterday.
but not like grand rapids teachers (yet).

No comments: