Friday, September 19, 2008

Why did the pirate walk out of geometry class?

Today happened to be "Talk Like A Pirate Day." Thus, everything that used a variable somehow used "r" and when I needed another variable, I often used "rrrr" but had the class repeat after me. My pirate joke fell a bit flat, so I asked the class for any. I did learn that pirates thought gold hoop earrings made them see better. I did not learn any good jokes.
That was pretty much my excitement for the day, talking like a pirate and moving them through their first proof, the Overlapping Segments Theorem. (Yes, it's really just as exciting as it sounds.) But Monday should be a lot of fun - doing some student-led explorations of hyperbolic and spherical geometry (making triangles on a sphere and a hyperbolic plane, along with some other cool mini-explorations.)

This weekend is the swim team camping trip up at Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan - my last one ever! That seems weird... I'm a senior. We start practice on the 29th of September.

And here's my last link. This is a funny site: Brown Sharpie.

And the answer to the joke I was given as the last class walked out the door?

"because class was over."

No comments: